Chris Silva

Director Dab Hand Cannabis Consulting

What is an Adult use Cannabis “Micro-Business” license?

In Michigan, the recently passed, Michigan Regulation and Taxation of Marihuana Act (MRTMA) will create a class of adult use licensure that will allow for 150 plant cultivation, processing and retail. No sales will be permitted to anyone other than direct end consumers.

Who is eligible to apply?

Qualified applicants, (first 2 years Michigan residents and registered LLC’s) under the MRTMA will be allowed to pursue these licenses. This license class will be one of the only to take new applicants as this license class did not exist under the previous MMMFLA licensing scheme.

Where can Micro-Business stores be located?

Adult Use micro-business locations will be limited by local ordinance. Many communities will look to amend their current MMMFLA ordinance to allow for MRTMA (adult use) stores, including micro-businesses.

What kinds of Cannabis products can be sold at Micro-Business locations?

Any and all products sourced by the licensee on site.

  • Concentrates
  • Flowers
  • Edibles
  • Topicals
  • Clones/genetics

How much will a Micro-Business license cost?

No one knows for sure, there have been no capital requirements or fee schedule set by LARA. Expectations are that this will be a cheaper regulatory fee and smaller capital requirements. But currently no one knows for sure what they will look like.


What can I do to prepare for a cannabis Micro-Business license in Michigan?

  1. Acquire competent consultants or legal staff like DabHand or one of our amazing partners in the legal industry.
  2. Target a municipality
  3. Create a business plan and develop a brand
  4. Be proactive about a local ordinance while state licensing is worked out!